Calculation and contract engineer
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
What's the role?
Our downstream manufacturing site at Pernis, Rotterdam is a joint oil refinery and chemicals manufacturing complex. It's one of the largest in the world and produces a broad range of materials that are used for various everyday products from paints to petrol. Our chemical complex at Moerdijk makes chemical products made from petroleum and is also one of the largest chemical sites in the Netherlands and Europe.
We're now looking for a Calculation and Contract Engineer to support and optimise the correct use of contracts for both the Pernis and Moerdijk sites.
What will you do?
You will lead efforts to improve and reduce costs and help us derive better value from all of our contracts. You'll clear the way for improvements on current engagements and the way they are implemented by dealing directly with the requisitioners, contract holders and Contracting and Procurement (CP) colleagues.
You'll act as the centre of knowledge for all technical and contractual issues at both sites and make sure that we establish a clear set of tariffs and calculation methods. This will include things like comparing quotations on prices, tariffs, indirect costs, and the technical execution and rollout of contracts.
Here are some of the other things you will do in this role:
- Support C&P in improvements in contracts, calculations and processes, and contribute to continuous performance drive, standardisation and simplification
- Provide an assurance role in the quality and accuracy of contractor’s calculations
- Support contract holders so they submit scopes which are correct and consistent. You'll also work closely with our internal partners to help them submit requisitions which are commercially sound
- Support CP with bid clarifications, evaluations, and negotiations in line with the contracting strategy
- Look after and update the databases of Norms and Unit Rates. You'll also make sure that contracts are consistently applied by preparing and implementing the calculation tool
- Support the optimal use of contracts by drafting commercial Quick Reference Cards
What we need from you
You will have a Bachelor qualification and have at least 5 years demonstrable relevant professional experience in cost calculation in a relevant field. You'll have technical knowledge in one of the team disciplines – preferably mechanical activities – so you can challenge contractor calculations and reach agreements with them about how they work. You will have a great commercial mindset and be the type of person who seeks to continuously improve.
You will also be able to:
- Build deep and effective working relationships with requisitioners, contract holders and CP colleagues across both sites
- Demonstrate a good business and customer orientation
- Deal effectively with multiple diverse and complex issues at the same time
- Enjoy exploring the details of a problem whilst keeping the overall goal in mind
- Take personal accountability for the delivery of outcomes
- Share your opinions openly yet respectfully and have a 'can do' approach
- Use Microsoft Office applications and be an authority in Excel
This is a great opportunity to get involved in the strategic approach of the business. And it's a role that will broaden your knowledge and your technical and commercial profile.
What we offer you:
- At Shell, we're committed to investing in the development of your career and we give people with your skills a platform from which you can deliver and really excel
- Shell is a company with shared values. Honesty, integrity and respect aren't simply a strap line, but are a part of everything we do. What's more, Shell is an equal opportunities company, and we place the highest possible value on the diversity of our people and our inclusive approach
- Join us and you’ll belong to a world where you can feel pride in your achievements and propel your career with global opportunities
We care deeply about fostering a truly diverse workplace. We believe in doing everything we can to make Shell a flexible, an appealing, and as supportive place for women to work as we can. And we've retained our title as a top employer for women in the Times again in 2016.
We help with things like our formal (and informal) flexible working. Like our global and transparent pay policies backed by leadership team fully supportive of our diversity ambitions. And we'll help foster your career through our Women's Career Development programme and our extensive Women's Network.
Read more about a women's perspective here
People with an impairment
At Shell we're all about top talent. End of story. We want to encourage those of you who may face an impairment to regard Shell as a place where you'll be fully supported to grow and develop your career. It's as simple as that.
Just let us know about your circumstances if you'd like to apply. We can support you throughout the process. From application, to interview, to your first day of a long career with us.
Read more about how Shell support people with an impairment here
No. of Positions
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply online via the 'Apply' button.
Keywords: Vacancy, Full-time, Rotterdam, Calculation and contract engineer, procurement